Temu under fire as girl hospitalised after using nail set bought on budget shopping site (2024)

Warning: Graphic content and image

A young British girl needed two skin grafts to repair horrific burns to her hand caused by a nail glue bought through discount online retailer Temu.

Chloe Norris’ father ordered his 11-year-old daughter the at-home manicure set she had asked for, but her painful injuries needed treatment at two hospitals.

Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today

Temu offers heavily discounted products to consumers, but Chloe’s furious mother Stacey says she would never order again from the popular site.

And she says the harmful product shouldn’t have been available in the first place.

Chloe bought the nail glue with her own money, and began applying fake nails as she sat with her mum.

Temu under fire as girl hospitalised after using nail set bought on budget shopping site (2)

“She applied one nail to one finger whilst I was sitting opposite her chatting about biscuits,” said Stacey.

“The nail glue must have fallen without any of us realising as Chloe suddenly said, ‘Mum, it’s burning’.”

Stacey says the glue went white as soon as water touched it.

“We held her hands under the water for 20 minutes and she said it was still burning,” the mother-of-two said.

“She was in a lot of pain and, once it subdued a little, we put Savlon on it and put her to bed.”

The next day, Chloe woke with alarming blisters on her hands.

“(They) were about as long as a packet of chewing gum and they were filling up like balloons,” Stacey said.

Chloe was taken to hospital where the blisters — which had exposed her skin down to her nerves — were treated.

“There was this jelly-like fluid inside,” Stacey said.

“Underneath, where it was once skin, was just white. It was her nerves.

“Every layer of her skin had been burned off — there was no fresh pink skin beneath, just white, just nerves.”

Temu under fire as girl hospitalised after using nail set bought on budget shopping site (3)

Chloe was referred to a specialist reconstructive surgery centre where doctors said she needed a skin graft.

The grafts were successful and the little girl’s burns are now healing.

But the concerned mum said the dangerous product should never have been on offer in the first place.

“I just can’t get my head around it,” Stacey said.

“The nails and the glue cost less than a pound, but that doesn’t excuse the damage it has done.

“You can get nail sets from (UK discount store) Primark for around the same cost that don’t do what the Temu glue did.”

Her husband Jamie contacted Temu, demanding an explanation for his daughter’s ordeal and injuries.

“They offered her £100 of Temu credit but we told them that it wasn’t about the money but about this dangerous product,” Stacey said.

“They then offered us £150 in credit but Jamie said he was going to take it further and share Chloe’s story on social media.”

Temu then offered the family £1,500 credits for Chloe’s injury, Stacey said.

“But there would be nothing in it for her as the money would barely cover the work hours I lost — nine days,” the mum said.

The family sought legal advice but was told that, because the glue had been sold by a third party through Temu, it would be impossible to track down the seller.

Stacey now wants to raise awareness of the dangers of buying unknown products from discount sites such as Temu.

Temu responds

A spokesman for Temu said it took product safety very seriously, and the item did carry warnings to keep out of reach of children.

“Firstly, we wish to express our sincerest sympathies to Chloe and her family. We are deeply saddened by the injury she has suffered,” a spokesman said.

“The product was a cyanoacrylate-based nail glue, a substance known for its strong bonding properties.

“It is a popular item sold by many retailers and e-commerce platforms, primarily used for adhering artificial nails, attaching nail tips, nail repair, and nail art.

“While cyanoacrylate, or commonly known as super glue, is generally harmless when it comes into contact with the skin, there have been reported cases of burns resulting from its reaction with certain materials, such as cotton and wool.”

Temu said that, as well as carrying safety warnings on the product, the merchant had provided the necessary certification for the product.

“However, we understand accidents can happen, especially in situations where the glue was inadvertently spilled and then touched,” the spokesman said.

“Our focus has always been on supporting Chloe and her family during this difficult time.

“We have extended an offer of £1,500 credits as a goodwill gesture.

“This decision is not intended to shift responsibility but reflects our acknowledgement of the unfortunate situation and our commitment to our customers’ well-being.

“Our thoughts remain with Chloe and her family, and we are committed to resolving this matter in a manner that is fair and respectful to all parties involved.”

Temu under fire as girl hospitalised after using nail set bought on budget shopping site (2024)

References

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Carmelo Roob

Last Updated:

Views: 5900

Rating: 4.4 / 5 (65 voted)

Reviews: 88% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Carmelo Roob

Birthday: 1995-01-09

Address: Apt. 915 481 Sipes Cliff, New Gonzalobury, CO 80176

Phone: +6773780339780

Job: Sales Executive

Hobby: Gaming, Jogging, Rugby, Video gaming, Handball, Ice skating, Web surfing

Introduction: My name is Carmelo Roob, I am a modern, handsome, delightful, comfortable, attractive, vast, good person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.